Zucchini boats are a great way to serve up a healthy, veggie packed meal that also taste amazing. I put a southwest spin on these zucchini boats, and I’m super happy with the results.
I’ve tried multiple tools to remove the pulp from zucchinis, and small measuring spoons are by far the best method I’ve come across. Metal measuring spoons or melon ballers would probably be ideal, but I didn’t have any problems using a sturdy plastic one.
One issue I have with a lot of zucchini boat recipes out there is that they don’t use the zucchini pulp! Wasting food is something I try to avoid as much as possible, which is why this recipe is great; the zucchini pulp goes right back into the boats. Using the pulp makes these boats super filling too.
I ended up with extra filling, which I used to make a burrito, but I imagine would also be quite tasty as a nacho topping or even by itself! If you want a little extra spice, top these with a little bit of spicy or chipotle ranch.
- 2 large zucchinis
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/2 package of portobello mushrooms
- 1 can black beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise and remove the pulp using a measuring spoon or melon baller. Chop up the pulp and set aside in a medium mixing bowl. Lay the zucchinis in a baking dish.
- Chop the tomato, onion, and mushrooms and add to the mixing bowl.
- Rinse the black beans and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt, garlic, cayenne pepper, and black pepper to the mixing bowl. Stir the mixture.
- Heat the filling in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook until the zucchini and onions are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Stir frequently while cooking.
- Generously spoon the filling into the zucchini boats. You want to pack as much filling in the boats as possible.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, or until the zucchini boats start to get tender. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Take the boats out of the oven and cool for a few minutes before serving.