I’ve been wanting to try zoodles (zucchini noodles) for a while, and when I saw how great my food processor shredded potatoes for tater tots, I knew I’d be able to try making zoodles as well! My food processor worked like a charm to create perfectly thin zoodles.
Cooking the zoodles takes only a few minutes, and you really need to watch them, as it’s easy to overcook them and end up with soggy zucchini. If you’re not planning on eating all of the zoodles, I recommend keeping them raw in the fridge and either cooking or microwaving them when you want to eat them. If you try and cook them, and then microwave them later, they’ll end up overdone.
I sauteed up lots of veggies, including tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, black olives, and green peppers. To top off the noodles, I added some homemade tomato sauce, veggies, and parmesan cheese. Since these are pretty much the same toppings you’d find on a veggie pizza, I called this dish pizza pasta!
- 2-3 large zucchinis
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 6-8 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 15 black olives, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 2-4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Slice the zucchini in half, length-wise.
- Shred the zucchini using a food processor to create zoodles.
- Lay out the zucchini on paper towels and sprinkle with salt to dry some of the water out. Let the zucchini sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms, green pepper, tomato, olives, oregano, remaining salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Saute until the veggies are tender. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the zoodles and cook over medium low heat for a few minutes, until the zoodles are tender, but not soggy.
- Divide the zoodles among separate bowls, top with tomato sauce, veggies, and parmesan cheese.