I love having fresh, easy meals that I can whip up real quick and then keep in the fridge for a few days. Whenever I have a busy week at work, I try to have meals that are super quick to make, and even easier to take for lunches. This recipe is great for summer days; it’s super light and refreshing!
I took a basic tomato cucumber salad and made it more hearty by adding chickpeas and black beans. Adding beans is my favorite way to pack a big punch of protein to an already delicious meal.
I recommend letting the salad marinate in the fridge for at least a couple hours before serving, as this really lets all the flavors soak in. Serving the salad chilled will keep the salad a refreshing bite to eat on a hot summer day. This salad is perfect for any summer party, and is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
For a hearty summer meal, add this salad to a bed of greens. Or for a light summer lunch, pack the salad in a jar, perfect to take to work!
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cucumber
- 1 package grape tomatoes
- 10 black olives
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 white onion
- 1-2 lemons (enough to yield 1/4 cup juice)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Rinse the beans with cold water and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the cucumber, tomatoes, onions, and olives. I diced the cucumber and onions fairly small, quartered the tomatoes, and sliced the olives. Add the veggies to the mixing bowl.
- Juice the lemons and add to a small bowl. Add the olive oil, parsley, tarragon, salt, pepper, and garlic to the lemon juice. Stir the mixture as much as you can and add the the mixing bowl.
- Gently stir the entire mixture until it's mixed well.
- Chill the salad for at least a few hours before serving. Serve as a salad on its own or as a side dish.
Try this recipe, and let me know how it goes. Take a picture and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #runningoutofthyme